February 11, 2015

Wednesday

Ugh, yesterday was such a clusterfuck.

Sharky had his catscan at 6:15, saw his doctor at 8:30, arrived at the ER at 10:15 am. Called me at 4 pm threatening to leave but I talked him into staying. The hospital literally had no beds available at all. He gave his phone number to the nurses and walked over to Chik-fil-a to get something to eat. Of course, that is when they called him. They brought him back into the ER and put him on an IV for pain meds. I called Mr. DW and he picked up Petunia and I at about 6:30 drove us up there. While we were there, he finally got to see the ER doctor who made notes about recommending a consultation with the oncologist while he was there. She also said, while palpitating his stomach, that it appeared that his spleen was enlarged. We left at about 8:30 pm, after the nurse made sure he got something else to eat to tide him over.

Petunia got a ride to school from BB's mom this morning and she's going to walk home. I heard from Sharky finally this morning and surgery was scheduled for 10 am and then moved to 12 pm. No food or water until after. Poor guy. I told him to just try and sleep until then. Not sure what is going to happen, the surgery is an exploratory biopsy but who knows. Got a long history in my family of exploratory surgery/biopsies turning into big drawn out affairs. Called Mr. DW and let him know what was up.

We tried to keep the "C" word out of the conversation, but she started putting things together in the ER after overhearing the words "lymphoma", "oncologist", and finally "chemo." She had a total meltdown after we got home. I'm doing my damnedest to stay positive around her so she doesn't worry. Sharky made me promise not to say anything to the boys until we know for sure what it is. Petunia didn't agree with that, but she doesn't have a say in the matter right now.

No comments: