May 5, 2015

Tuesday

Well, it's been one heck of a weekend.

Sharky has not been doing well, very achey with a hard time sleeping. Came home early on Friday but we went over to Cousin GG's house for dinner. His mom slept there while M&M stayed at a hotel. They had a huge spaghetti dinner. (Yes, my whole diet was shot and my blood sugar ended up being high most of the weekend, but luckily within normal levels.) Had to tell the cancer story many times over the weekend. Got pretty sick of it by the end.

Had an impulse that I acted upon that could have had a bad ending but it worked out in the end. As we were trying to leave, I told Sharky to show everyone his (not-quite bald head - it's really quite fuzzy). He objected but gave in and I made his mom touch it. She thought it was funny and kept saying "I like men ball." Now remember, she's Italian and reverses words all the time (makes sense in Italian but not English) and has a bad habit of not enunciating words completely, and really meant to say "I like bald men." After she repeated it a couple of times, I said "I like men balls too, but that isn't something we talk about in public, Grandma." (pointing to Petunia). If I had actually thought it out ahead of time, I never would have said it but I have a bad habit of blurting out things like that. LOL Luckily everyone got a good laugh out of it, including MIL.

Came back for breakfast Saturday morning. Held my tongue when BIL started spouting off that having odd-colored hair (blue, green, etc.) was "in his experience" a gateway to severe personality disorders that led to drug addiction. I did try and say something, but I kept getting shut up because in their "expert opinion" no one else's opinion matters. I think he's totally full of shit, but as I said, I behaved and said nothing after my opinion was rebuffed.

After breakfast, Petunia went Xian bookstore shopping with MIL, SIL & DG's daughter. (SIL is planning on opening a Xian bookstore.) When I saw Petunia again, later that day, she said she did have fun, so I'm glad. They also treated her out to lunch.

Sharky and BIL dropped me off at the house and they went car shopping (left the truck at GG's). Yes, supposedly Jesus told BIL to buy us a car. Sharky wasn't optimistic about it, but later on, I got a call from him with a VIN number to call the insurance agent with and have the policy papers faxed over to a dealership. Not too long after, Sharky pulled into the driveway and honked. It was a 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible. It sure didn't look like a 10 year old car. It is beautiful. It was bought as is, no warranty, because the dealership got it in an auction lot and were planning on getting rid of it that way (along with 100s of others). The only things wrong with it, it needs a gasket replaced and a regulator installed for a rear window motor. The top is pristine and the body is in excellent shape. The air conditioning works excellent as well.

I'm still in a bit of shock over it. I'm sure I didn't express enough gratitude, but then I have a hard time with emoting things like that - always have. I hope they did not have an ulterior motive for this, and am trying hard to believe they did this for good reasons. It made me very uncomfortable when they kept saying that they never want to spend money normally, but Jesus told BIL to do it to help us out. I told my mom and she said she hopes Jesus tells them next year to buy us central a/c for the house. LOL

Saturday evening was fun. DG went all out and decorated everything like a luau for MIL's birthday and Cousin AG's graduation. Lots of kebabs, potato salad and baked beans with cupcakes for dessert.

There was a really awkward moment when MIL started telling Sharky not to grow his beard back when the chemo is over with. Sharky insisted that he liked it and wanted it back. That led him into telling the story of how I got my dreadlocks (I told him that if he shaved his goatee/beard/mustache into a really ugly Hulk Hogan thing I was going to dread my hair whether he liked it or not).  MIL, sitting next to me kept looking at me out of the corner of her eye. I then went into saying that Sharky was 49 years old and he can have his hair/beard any way he wants to. I made the mistake of saying that I was 48 and while I conformed for many years, I believe that I am old enough to do what I want, including my hair. She narrowed her eyes and sort of shook her head in puzzlement. She said, "Well it looks like you need to comb it out a bit." I told her no, I wash my hair a couple of times a week, it's clean and I'm happy with it. She then asked when I combed it - after I washed it? I told her no, I never comb it. Then, a pause, and she said "So it's supposed to look like that?" I embarrassed myself by laughing out loud, very loudly. I guess it was not what I was expecting to hear. We changed the subject before it got any weirder.

The next morning, Sharky was really in a lot of pain so Petunia and I dropped him off at GG's house and we went to Volde-mart and did our grocery shopping all by ourselves. LOL Everyone but GG was at church, so Sharky laid down and took a nap. Petunia and I put all the groceries away when we got home and I laid down because my hip was killing me. After lunch, they called us and we went back over and spent some time looking at GG & DG's vacation pictures before everyone said goodbye and left.

After we got home, Sharky wanted to go out to eat. A friend had given him a gift card, so we went to Longhorn's Steakhouse for dinner. It was pretty good.

Monday morning, Sharky dropped the car off at the garage around the corner to have the rear left window wedged up. It needs a regulator for the motor and he can fix it when we find one. Right now, money will be tight for a couple of weeks due to him being home sick and losing pay.

So, today I'm all alone with my car. I thought it would be fun to run some errands. *sigh* It's about to rain, so top stays up. Ran to the library at 10 but it doesn't open until 1. Had to pick up rx, but those won't be ready until 1 as well. Oh well, guess I'll wait until Petunia gets home and then we'll go.

No comments: