April 28, 2015

Floralia

Celebrated Floralia today by re-potting my beloved hibiscus that JBun gave me for Mother's Day back in 2012. It was severely root-bound and starting to fade. Sharky bought me a giant bag of potting soil a couple of weeks ago so I could re-pot it.

Because of the holiday, I had envisioned having a meditation on peace while doing this. Boy was I wrong. Started off having to don flip-flops and rescue the garbage can rolling down the street (thanks to the garbage men). Then it took me a while longer to actually find the pot. The old bag of soil that I was going to re-use on the bottom had fallen apart, so I dumped that in the front yard. Found a hibernating (?) lizard in the stack of pots, so I let him go into the front yard (finding him scared the crap out of me). Had to take off the flip-flops and put on actual sneakers when I just about went ass-over-teakettle a few times down the stairs.

Put the large pot and drainage dish on the front wall and left a couple of sea shells that had fallen in there. Put another pot upside down was placed inside to help drainage. Then I opened the new bag of dirt and realized there is no way I can pick it up, it's just too heavy. Had to go find a pot to scoop dirt in and proceeded to do so.

Got it over 3/4 filled with soil then grabbed the hibiscus. Whoa, talk about resisting change. I had to dig it out literally with my fingers, a long, slow arduous process. Finally got it free to discover there was almost no original dirt left, just roots. Poor baby. Put it in the larger pot where it proceeded to keep flopping over until I got enough dirt in there to hold it up. This really was a job for two people.

Had to go back in the house and fill up the water jug and realized that every single fingertip was burning from the dirt. (Thanks diabetes!) Watered the new potted plant, cleaned up, and came back into the house to discover that I had more dirt on me than I could ever have imagined. Thankfully I hadn't started the washer yet, so I took a shower and realized that I had forgot my whole meditation. Tried to meditate in there, but it just didn't take. *sigh*

Oh well, at least the hibiscus is re-potted. I have more plants to re-pot (the two in the kitchen) but that will have to wait for another day.

No comments: