October 14, 2014

Tuesday

When Sharky got home from work yesterday, we ran to Publix to grocery shop. I picked up a sympathy card for KN, a friend from high school, who's mom passed away from breast cancer last week. We tried to mail a get well card to Sharky's step-mom yesterday, until I realized that it was Columbus Day and there was no mail service. It's being mailed today.

Dread update: I worked on my hair yesterday, and loosely rubber-banded all the roots. I'm going to wash it today and tomorrow, when it's completely dry, going to do a bit of a wax treatment on it. One way I can tell my health has drastically improved from the time of my hospital stay is that I've had a record hair growth happen, and there is a ton of new hair all over my head not in dreads. Between the bands and the wax, it should help incorporate the loose hair into the locs. Like last time, the bands are only going to be on for a very short while, just to get it started.

Heard from BL, my step-mom, this morning via email. My dad is home now and recuperating, but she is now in charge of all the bills, etc., and COMPUTER STUFF, so she wrote to ask me to stop sending him stuff from Facebook. *dramatic sigh* Of course, I'm not doing it, it's FB's notifications, so I was nice and polite and wrote her back with explicit instructions on how to deactivate that function.

After I posted about my frustrations with diabetes trolls on FB, one of my oldest friends called me and when she realized that I was on insulin, she put me on the phone to her husband who will be starting it next week. The conversation started simple enough. He told me he was shipped a box of supplies and wanted to know if it had everything he needed in it. It did, except for alcohol swabs. When I asked if he had any, he said he doesn't buy them. In fact, he doesn't even wash his hands before testing his blood glucose levels. Why? Because his hands aren't dirty. Stupid me, knowing better, did try to explain that any contaminants on the finger tips can change the readings and alter the amount of insulin he will be injecting. He told me I was crazy and I was then subjected to a rant on whats wrong with the world. I don't care about him, but I love my friend. All I can do is pray that when he does kick the bucket, he leaves her with a good insurance policy. *sigh*

No comments: