November 11, 2016

50th Birthday

It was, frankly, a surreal 50th birthday. I mean, think about it, I'm 50. What is 50? There's a lot of deep thinking going on here along with other, sadder circumstances I don't want to talk about at the moment.

The weirdest part was when we stopped at Publix after dinner. I stayed outside and walked around a bit visiting Pokéstops (hush) and ended up leaning against a lamppost where I could see Sharky and Petunia exit the store.

I'm usually more alert, but wasn't at the moment a deep male voice behind me said "Hey there." I screamed and jumped about a foot in the air, making the young 20 something guy in his flannel pajamas (it is Riverside) step back with his hands in the air and yell "I'm not going to hurt you!" Poor guy looked so scared that I started to laugh and I told him not to worry, he just startled me.

Then, I swear, he looked me up and down and said, "Hey, got your Wayfarers on?" and I had a brief flashback to The Boys of Summer and 1984 (the year I graduated high school). (It's a song by Don Henley, formerly of The Eagles, in case you didn't know.)

I said "What?" and he said, and I'm not making this up, "I said, Hey beautiful, got a boyfriend?" I was barely able to stop laughing (again) long enough to say "I have a husband." and he smiled, shrugged, and walked away.

I told Sharky and Petunia about it when they came out of the store. I got seriously teased and honestly, if it were any other neighborhood, they might not have believed me.

So, long story short, a very young guy in pj's came on to me. Not sure if I should be flattered or creeped out. Definitely an interesting beginning to the second half of my life...

No comments: