November 28, 2014

Black Friday

Didn't spend a dime or go shopping. Sharky and Petunia did run to the store and picked up my rx, but that doesn't count.

Yesterday was great. Got up early and had a nice breakfast, then baked a large pineapple pecan upside down cake. I had a freakout moment when it was done and I had to invert it onto a platter. Only thing I had big enough was my turkey platter and that's not flat, but would have to do because it's prettier than a foil lined cookie sheet (only other option). I told Petunia to get her dad (to get her out of the room so no one was watching) and did a one/two/three/flipperoo. It worked and turned out great. One pineapple stuck (I could see it thru the glass pan) and I tapped the bottom and it popped right off onto the cake. Couldn't even tell which one it was. LOL

When that was down, wrapped up and cooling, I started on the green bean cassserole. (Made the cranberry sauce on Wednesday.) Sharky packed up the food in a cardboard box with towels and we made it over to Mr. DW's house around 2:30.

Had "dinner" around 3:30. It was delicious. He did a dry brine (salted in and out for 24 hours, then rinsed good before cooking) and it was, hands down, the best turkey I've ever had. My green beans turned out awesome and so did the cranberry sauce. The cake was delicious. (Had a piece tonight, even better with time!)

All in all, we had a really nice time and ate like fools. Mr. DW kept everything he wanted and packed up the rest for us. I asked if we could have the turkey carcass and he was more than happy to hand it over to us after carving off the meat he wanted.  (I plan on stripping it, roasting the bones, and then making stock in the crock pot. One of my fave things to do.)

Another good thing, even after eating like we did, my glucose levels were still within normal range. I was so thrilled about that.

 ***

Woke up this morning to see some weird things on FB. Turns out, after messaging a friend for more info, that a lady I knew, Lola/Grace passed away last night. I never met her in person, but she sent me a friend request about 2+ years ago and we had two close friends in common (small world). We chatted off and on and I always wanted to meet up with her during one of the local events she helped run. She was a lovely lady with a daughter joining the USMC and twin boys in high school. Her boyfriend died last year, on Christmas eve, in a horrible truck crash while at work. (It was all over the news.) When I first heard she had passed away, I'm sad to say that my immediate thought was that I hoped she hadn't committed suicide. The last thing I had seen from her was talking about the anniversary of his death coming up and how hard it was going to be. I was even more shocked to find out that she had died due to complications with asthma. I knew she had it, had even been hospitalized recently because of it, but still. What a horrible way to die. Not being able to breathe is so scary, I know and even what I went through wasn't as bad as what some people experience. Such a shock. Rest in Peace, all Hail the Traveler.

No comments: